Training during COVID-19 outbreak
Due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, social care training has had to adapt. This page contains details of what is currently being offered by N&SCS endorsed training providers.
Norfolk-based White's Training have been granted funding by Skills for Care to offer fully-funded, virtual training.
Here is a letter from Oonagh Smyth, CEO Skills for Care outlining the funding programme.
- Rapid induction for new staff and returners to care
- Update training for existing staff
- Volunteers (half-day course) for people who will volunteer with care services
See HERE for FAQs from Skills for Care about the rapid induction programme and volunteers training.
The number of fully-funded places available is based on organisation size.
- Small Employers (1-50 staff) – 10 funded learners
- Medium Employers (51-249 staff) – 20 funded learners
- Large Employers (250 + staff) – 30 funded learners
Rapid induction for new staff
A 5-day Virtual Learning course aimed at delivering an induction around agreed standards to those who are new to care or joining your company.
The course modules are:
- Care Certificate Knowledge Digital Learning - 3 Days
- Assisting & Moving People - theory and witnessed practical
- Basic Life Support
- Fire Safety
- Food Safety
- Health & Safety Awareness
- Infection Prevention & Control (COVID-19 Included)
- Safeguarding (specifically around isolation)
Update training for existing staff
- Assisting & Moving people - 3 Hours
- Basic Life Support - 3 Hours
- Fire Safety - 3 Hours
- Food Safety - 3 Hours
- Health & Safety Awareness - 3 Hours
- Infection Prevention & Control - 3 Hours
- Safeguarding (specifically around social isolation) - 3 Hours
- Medication - 3 Hours
Volunteer Learning Programme
A half to full-day (dependent on experience, prior knowledge and group size) brief induction programme aimed for volunteers who will be assisting with support to services throughout the COVID-19 crisis. It will give volunteers a brief insight to their roles and boundaries whilst volunteering in adult health & social care.
The course modules are:
- Adult social care
- Your role and responsibilities
- Equality, diversity and person centred values
- Telephone support and communication
- Pain and discomfort
- Infection prevention and control
- Food safety
- Fluids and hydration
- Health and safety
Please note: These courses will be offered in pre-arranged slots, unless there is a multiple booking and White's are able to meet your request. Due to the anticipated surge in bookings, they are asking people to complete an online form so their team can get back to you with relevant information.
This funding is limited and will be offered on a first-come first served basis, so if you wish to take advantage of this offer please contact White's as soon as possible.
For the contact form visit the White's Training website:
Other fully-funded, virtual training options
For a list of all the training companies offering this fully-funded essential training see the Skills for Care website:
COVID-19 Essential Training guide from Skills for Care (updated in July)
ACC Consulting are now offering one-to-one, fast track training via:
- All usual topics
- Care Certificate
- Contingency Training - for family members of service users
- * PLUS basic PPE training to include use of face masks, aprons and gloves.
A wide range of e-learning courses available.
DUET diabetes have stopped all face to face workshops until they are confident that we can run them safely for all concerned. Since August, they have started to run live webinar based interactive workshops. They will be offering training whereby individual places can be booked (i.e. an open workshop format) to attend. If required, they can also provide workshops exclusively for individual organisations – please contact them to discuss this. Scheduled workshops will be added to the ‘courses and workshops’ page on the NSCS website, please also visit the DUET diabetes website for more information or give us a call or email them.
General diabetes workshops
- Diabetes Awareness
- Blood Glucose Monitoring & Glucometer Training (however competency cannot be assessed remotely)
- Diabetes Update for Registered Nurses
- Diabetes & Healthy Eating
- Insulin Awareness & Injection Technique – first date available 16 Sept 2020
‘Hands on Feet’ Portfolio
- Diabetic Foot Screening (however competency cannot be assessed remotely)
- Ankle Brachial Pressure Index (ABPI) Assessment – first date available 22 October 2020
- Diabetic Foot Awareness for Beauty and Wellness Therapists
Extra Hands Training
Extra Hands have suspended all face-to-face training and are exploring live video training.
Norvic Training (UK) Ltd. are delivering first aid courses every week at their Norwich training centre and on a regular basis at their Waterbeach training room. They are also open for moving and handling, their clinical training and their care home induction.
As clients have expressed a preference for face-to-face over e-learning they have now set up 4 professional webinar studios to deliver courses as close to face-to-face as possible. They are delivering courses live from these studios which can be viewed from any mobile phone, iPad or computer, anywhere in the country. Even if you are in self-isolation, you can be keeping your skills up and ensure that your care staff, nurses and new staff have the knowledge they need to deliver to the highest standards.
Training and Assessment in Healthcare
Training and Assessment in Healthcare are now able to deliver practically any of their courses via video link/webinar and phone support.
They have around 140 courses available that support the health and social care sectors: elderly care; adult andchildren services; mental heath; learning disability; brain Injury - for full details please see their website.
White’s Training Services
White's are offering fully-funded virtual training (see top of this page) and a full range of virtual training.
List of resources