New guide addresses the importance of succession planning
Skills for Care have published a ‘Developing new managers and deputies’ guide which asks employers to think hard about the pressing question: “where’s your next manager coming from?”
The new guide was developed after Skills for Care’s research revealed that all too often managers arrive in post having never planned to become a manager, which often leads to having to learn ‘on-the-job’. When new managers are developed through a leadership journey they’re much more likely to thrive in a challenging but rewarding profession.
The new guide is based on Skills for Care’s engagement with adult social care employers who are already developing the confidence of their aspiring and new managers. This work has identified a recommended route of support and development for future managers that works by promoting a blend of development opportunities, programmes and qualifications and a step-by-step approach to career progression.
The easy-to-use, practical guide includes:
- how employers can spot talent and identify future deputies and managers
- how skills and confidence can be built through championing, shadowing managers, delivering internal training and leading projects
- how qualifications, courses and standards support development
- examples of what regulated providers are already doing for succession planning, including interviews with new managers and deputies
- how employers can access new and enhanced Workforce Development Funding
- practical checklists, examples and downloads to support planning.